University of Kentucky College of Medicine Wethington Award Policy FY18
Revised October 13, 2017
The College of Medicine Wethington award process is administered and funded by the Dean’s office to reward and incentivize extramurally sponsored research activity in all Departments and Centers.
- All full time faculty on regular, special, and clinical title series.
- Awards will incorporate all extramural research funds from which salary support was garnered for research effort. Awards which support clinical effort and generate RVUs are excluded, as these activities are eligible for clinical bonuses.
- Eligibility is based on faculty with salary charged to extramural funds that, in aggregate, are above a monthly threshold of 30% of reimbursed salary. The 30% threshold will be based on the funds contributed to the non‐cost shared component of salary.
- For FY18, it is estimated that the award will be 50% of non‐cost shared salary above the 30% threshold per month. The award level is contingent on the financial status of the College, and University policies and approvals. Payments will be made after the close of the fiscal year. Awards can be provided to the faculty member with a payout to the individual, funds to support the faculty member’s laboratory, or a mixture of these two options. These distributions are at the discretion of the faculty member. Funds to support the faculty member’s laboratory will be eligible for carry forward to the following fiscal year.
Determination of award amount
- Cost share will be excluded.
- Calculation will be based on the SAP True Annual Salary, or the prevailing NIH cap for faculty above this salary, if applicable.
- The 30% non‐cost shared salary threshold will be determined per month, with the award amount being determined only in the months in which non‐cost shared salary was above the threshold.
- Selected extramural non-research funding mechanisms may be included, such as K awards. Extramurally-funded, internally-awarded research awards may be excluded, particularly if the internal awards are non-competitive. Inclusion will be determined by the COM Office of Research.
- VA research salary support may be considered. For this salary support mechanism to be considered in the award, the faculty member must have completed a Veterans Administration Joint Appointment Memo of Understanding (MOU) that clearly defines the research effort and salary contribution from the VA, and have completed an appropriate salary adjustment.
- Maximum award is $50,000. This maximum is inclusive of the sum total of Wethington and clinical productivity and performance bonus awards.
- Faculty must be employed at UK on the date of distribution.
- For clinical faculty, award distribution will align with the clinical productivity and performance awards and therefore be released in September following the prior fiscal year closure.
Basis for possible adjustment of awards
- An annual performance evaluation with poor performance concerns.
- Over expenditure of grants.
- Bridge funding at either the department or college level.
Appeals regarding Wethington awards should be submitted to the Vice Dean for Research.