College of Medicine
Dean’s Distinguished Lecture Series
General outline for inviting a DDLS speaker:
- Each of the Major Focus Areas (Cancer, Cardiovascular, Diabetes/Obesity, Drug Abuse and Addiction, Neuroscience) will recommend a speaker to the Dean. The recommendation should include the process used to nominate a speaker, including the departments and centers involved in the nomination.
- In addition, there will be one nominee from Medical Students, a presentation from PostDoc award winners, and one additional lecture slot for topics that are outside of the above areas,
- The Research Leadership Team will review the recommendation and either approve or disapprove the recommendation.
- For approved recommendations, the thematic area should identify a contact person/host to work with the Dean’s office to identify potential dates. This contact person will follow up with a formal invitation to the speaker. The Dean’s office, host and speaker will work together to find a date for the presentation.
Division of Financial Responsibilities:
The Dean’s office will pay for:
- Travel and hotel (maximum of $1,000; airfare must be coach class)
- Honorarium ($1500)
The host is responsible for:
- Arranging travel
- Ground transportation
- Meals with the speaker
- Speaker gift
- Any extracurricular activities such as Keeneland, sporting events, etc.
Division of Organizational Responsibilities:
The Dean’s office will coordinate:
- Website calendar
- Publicity, in conjunction with host
The host and thematic area will coordinate:
- Travel and hotel arrangements
- Publicity, in conjunction with the Dean’s office